Rest & Stress: Budgeting for Breast Cancer
No one plans for life to throw them a major curveball. This is one woman’s story about championing her health and prioritizing her budget while healing from a breast cancer diagnosis. Today we talked specifically about rest and stress management!
We talk a lot about saving money and eating healthy around here. What happens when life throws you a major curve-ball?
This looks different for all of us. Maybe it’s a foreclosure, a job loss, or bankruptcy. Maybe it’s something even more serious: a medical complication, a car accident, or a diagnosis.
A few years ago, my dear childhood friend, Jessie Fabling, received a surprising and heartbreaking diagnosis. At 30 years old, Jessie was diagnosed with breast cancer.
She decided to tackle her diagnosis from all angles, working with a variety of doctors and professionals to fight the cancer and support her overall health in the process. Jessie eats an all-organic diet and juices regularly.
She’s also a waitress and nanny, living on a budget.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, Jessie agreed to do a three-part interview just for the Cheapskate Cook audience! She’s a regular follower and a member of the Cheapskate Cooks Facebook Group.
We sat together for a couple of days, chatting, laughing, and crying.
One Breast Cancer Story in 3 Parts:
After our first talk about breast cancer in the context of saving money and eating healthy, Jessie and I discovered three major themes in her healing journey: food & nutrition, rest & stress, and resources & community.
Resources & Community interview coming soon!
Interview 2: Rest & Stress
No surprise here: It turns out that rest is extremely important to Jessie’s healing journey! And the good news is that it is practically free. In this second interview, Jessie breaks down what rest looks like for her and how she manages that with two jobs and the stress that a diagnosis puts on one’s body. She shares how this is one of the most budget-friendly ways to support health and wellness, and how it goes much deeper than simply getting 7 hours of sleep.
What does stress management look like for Jessie in the context of relationships, commitments, and healing? Watch the interview to find out.
- 2:32 – Why rest and stress management is an important part of Jessie’s healing journey
- 4:00 – Mindfulness, what it means to Jessie, and what others can do to support a loved one emotionally
- 6:45 – Music puts words to emotions; other tactile ways to stay grounded)
- 8:18 – STOP and counseling
- 11:20 – What stress management looks like in Jessie’s life
- 13:18 – Disease is a “Dis-ease” in the body; emotional boundaries
- 15:45 – Stress management techniques
- 19:16 – These are important skills for everyone (no matter who you are)
- 20:16 – A powerful analogy Jessie shared
- 20:57 – How Jessie pursues quality rest, practically speaking
- 23:05 – Filling your schedule too full
- 24:22 – A message from Jessie to someone going through a difficult medical crisis
- 27:13 – Wrap up and hint at the next interview!
Here’s a cheat sheet so you can skip ahead to sections that you may find especially relevant!
Where to Find Jessie:
If you would like to support her, visit her Go Fund Me page here!
What You Can Do Now:
If this interview resonated with you, tell us what you think below! (Please remember that Jessie is undergoing numerous therapies and working with many qualified professionals to heal her diagnosis. We are not saying that only rest will heal anyone.)
Slash your grocery budget and feed your family real food! Get simple, frugal, real food menu plans every month for FREE in the Cheapskate Cooks’ 1-Min Email. Get the next one here.