In order to streamline and simplify my meal prep, I cook a lot of meat ahead of time. It helps us save money and eat healthy every day because I’m not trying to make fresh meals every night.
Kissing cousins to Chicken You Can Use With Everything comes this gem – Beef You Can Use with Everything. This recipe cuts my cook time in half.
In Grass-fed Meat on a Shoestring I mentioned that ground beef is our red meat of choice. Not only is it frugal, versatile, and easy, it’s also delicious. Besides… our farmer sells the same meat to the gourmet burger joint in town. We’re basically eating gourmet every week.
I cook several pounds of this ahead of time, then freeze what we won’t eat in the next three days. I use this beef for tacos, chili, soup, pasta, pita sandwiches – even salad. It eliminates the whole brown-the-meat stage in any given recipe.
Actually, it’s delicious enough that we often eat it as-is with a side of steamed veggies. Barbecue sauce optional.
Easy Make-Ahead Beef
I usually quadruple this recipe. I use some beef that same day then freeze the rest.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt, (to taste)
- Pepper, (to taste)
- Brown meat in a skillet over medium heat. About halfway through cooking, add seasoning and stir well.
- Allow meat to cool slightly then use in tacos, chili, soups, salads, or enjoy with a drizzle of barbecue sauce.
- TO FREEZE: Place in plastic containers with lids or in quart-size freezer bag (squeeze extra air out of the bag). Label and store in freezer. When ready to use, allow container to thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Onion - You can substitute dried onion with 1/4 cup chopped onion or heaping 1/4 teaspoon onion powder.
- Garlic - You can substitute garlic powder with 1 clove crushed garlic.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 2.6 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 208Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 67mgSodium 166mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 21g
Please note: The actual calories and nutrition of this dish will change depending on what ingredients you use. Nutrition information is not always accurate.