Here are my favorite sourdough recipes, tips, and tutorials!
This post contains affiliate links. You can view our full disclosure policy here.
Here are my favorite sourdough recipes and tutorials!
Sourdough Tips and Recipes
I demonstrated this
- Watch the Facebook replay here!
- And I shared a very short demo of how I feed my sourdough starter on IGTV.
Feed Your Starter Cheat Sheet:
I use a quart-size mason jar to hold my starter.
When feeding, I add 2-3 tablespoons of starter to the jar, stir in 80 grams each of unbleached flour, filtered water (just a Brita filter to get the chlorine out), and stir it together.
Save the leftover starter and make pancakes or something.
My Top Quick Sourdough Tips:
- If you make your own starter, wait at least six weeks before attempting bread without any added yeast. You want a really healthy strong starter.
- Be careful using metal or stainless steel bowls and spoons with sourdough starter. You’ll mostly be okay, but acid reacts with metal. So never store your starter long-term in a metallic container.
- After years of measuring the flour and water in cups (which is not accurate and didn’t yield consistent results), I finally got this food scale. I hate to be the person who says you NEED a food scale to make great sourdough bread, but seriously, sourdough is 1000% simpler now.
My Favorite Sourdough Recipes
Sourdough Focaccia – Very simple, EASY, and forgiving recipe. If you are just starting with sourdough, make this first for an easy win!
Non-Crumbly Whole Grain Sandwich Bread – I make the sourdough version of this (see post).
Pretty Simple Sourdough – that round artisan sourdough loaf you’ve dreamed of! They also have a bunch of tutorials for feeding and making your own starter. It requires more equipment and hands-on work, but it will give you the best sourdough loaf ever.
Sourdough Pancakes – I use discard instead of
I’m not the authority on sourdough baking. Hopefully, one day I will be an expert. For now, the best thing I can do is point you to other experts who have awesome posts, videos, and resources for making sourdough simple and successful!
My friend Wardee shares A LOT of information (and videos!) about healthy sourdough. Here are some of her tips:
- How to Start a Sourdough Starter
- Healthiest Bread Ever (free
- 11 Tips for Lighter, Less Dense Sourdough
- Sourdough A to Z (eBook & Video)
- Pressure Cooker Sourdough Cornbread (Instant Pot or Stovetop)