Cajun Sausage, Beans & Rice
This fast, easy dinner costs around $4 and feeds 4-6 people. It’s flavorful, filling, a little spicy, and besides the kielbasa, you probably already have the ingredients in your cupboards. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
When a recipe appears from a mishmash of whatever’s in your pantry, it’s a keeper. This Cajun Sausage, Beans & Rice costs around $4 and feeds 4-6 people. It’s flavorful, filling, a little spicy, and besides the kielbasa, you probably already have the ingredients in your cupboards.
- Fast – 30 minutes from the moment you slice the onion until the rice is cooked through.
- Gluten-free – Although watch the ingredients on the sausage!
We like turkey sausage, but if sausage isn’t your game, replace it with ground beef and you have a Cajun beef and rice thing. We make that version just as often as this one.
For a Vegetarian Version
Leave out the sausage entirely. EASY. Add a little more seasoning if you like.
As an added bonus, the leftovers make an amazing breakfast or lunch. I like to fry an egg on the side.
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½-1 Kielbasa or similar sausage, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- One 14-oz can kidney beans
- One 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups water or broth
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (bell peppers, zucchini, summer squash, and corn all work great)
- 1-2 cups greens, chopped (spinach, collards, and baby kale work great)
- Hot sauce, to serve
Heat oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Saute onion (and veggies, if using) until onion is translucent. Add kielbasa about halfway through onion cooking.
Stir in Cajun seasoning and rice and let it lightly toast for 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes (and greens, if using) and water. Stir well.
Open and drain kidney beans, then add them to the skillet and stir. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes - or until rice is done (time varies depending on the kind of rice).
Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables.